Fleischmann 725100 - Diesel electric double locomotive 288 002-9
This is a new release for 2021.
Rich detailing on the model with separately applied plug-in parts Extra ventilation grilles mounted under the arched roof
Frame trims with four sandboxes each and INDUSI reproduction 3 headlights and two red tail lights, depending on driving direction
Completely new design!
■ Rich detailing on the model with separately applied plug-in parts
■ Extra ventilation grilles mounted under the arched roof
■ Frame trims with four sandboxes each
■ Ready equipped model to install driver's cab lighting - switchable in digital mode
In 1941 and 1942, four double locomotives of the type D 311 were put into operation by the German Wehrmacht. They had been built to transport heavy railway guns. Two locomotives, class V 188 001 a/b and class V 188 002 a/b, continued to be used by the Deutsche Bundesbahn after the war. A third locomotive served as a spare parts donor. They proved their worth in the heavy goods train and shunting service, mainly on the "Spessart" ramp. After the generator was damaged, the V 1088 001 needed to be dismantled as early as 1968. The V 188 002, later designed as 288 002, was still operating in the Franconian area until 1972. In 1973 both engines were scrapped.
Additional Product Description
The D 311.01 a/b, also known as “Walli”, was used on the Crimean peninsula. Along with its sister engine, the D 311.02 a/b “Dora”, it manoeuvred the largest railroad gun ever built.
The locomotives D 311.03 and 04 were intended for use with the “Schwerer Gustav 2” gun, and were probably put into use in the West of Germany.
The fifth and sixth double locomotives were ordered from Krupp, but ultimately could not be built due to war events. The engines were equipped with electric power transmission. For each half-unit, a DC generator directly powered by the diesel engine supplied the electric traction motors on each of the four wheelsets with power. Accordingly, the axle arrangement designation was Do+Do. The controls of both locomotive halves were electrically coupled, and were operated from the respective preceding driver’s cab. The machine weighed 147 tonnes in total. Its top speed was 75 km/h. In the “Dora” firing position, the locomotives also supplied the electrical power for operation of the gun.
At the end of the war, the double locomotive D 311.03 a/b was located near to Freilassing, and was put into operation once more after an overhaul in 1948-49 at Krauss-Maffei as the V 188 001 a/b for the “Reichsbahn West”.
The D 311.04 a/b was found in the Netherlands, and was purchased at the end of 1949 by the still-young Deutsche Bundesbahn. This engine was then handed over to the company after renovation in 1951 as the V 188 002 a/b.
The D 311.02 a/b, which had ended up at Krupp in Essen, was merely used to provide spare parts. The two renovated class V 188 engines proved their worth in heavy freight train and shunting services, mainly on the Spessart-Rampe.
At the end of the 1950s, the vehicles were equipped with Maybach engines, such as those used in the V 200.0 and in the VT 08. After damage to the generator, the V 188 001 was phased out in 1968. The V 188 002, later the 288 002, remained in operation in the Franconian region until 1972. Both machines were scrapped in 1973.
This item is currently out of stock.
|Railroad||DB - German Bahn|
|UPC or EAN (GTIN)||9002640251003|